Pages

Thursday, May 27, 2010

We're all a little mad here...

So today I'm revisiting my fascination with the Cheshire Cat. This is one of my favorite characters of all time, and I've been wanting to do something artistic with it for a while. Today I finally acted on some of my promises to myself that I'd work with the character, and I did. In my new handy dandy sketchbook, I started designing my own version of the character (read: I drew my own version... possibly the first of many. However it's less of a formal character design, and more of the character sneaking out of my brain via my hand.) It's just a graphite/ prismacolor glorified doodle, but overall I'm pretty happy with it, though it turns out he was a lot creepier than I thought he would be. Regardless, it feels good to be using my creativity again, and I always like to start out a sketchbook with something I feel is at least halfway decent. As a matter of fact, I tend to havea hard time starting sketchbooks, simply because I want the first page to be good. I'll let myself do whatever in the consecutive pages, but I feel that unless the first page is decent, the rest of the sketchbook is worthless. Yay for strange quirks.

The other thing I've done in my time here at work is create stencil patterns for another shirt design - this one Cheshire Cat themed. I was smarter, and it's less complicated than the other design I'm working on... but I still gave myself some interesting challenges..

With both images, I've set myself up for a huge pain in the tush. The white parts of the image are the parts that will be the stencil, and the black images are where the color goes. What this means, is that I will be cutting out all the black parts, leaving a lot of white pieces that are not connected to each other. So I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to get around it. Will post later with the results of that adventure. I have a couple ideas, we shall see what ends up being effective...

Still need to get my mineral spirits to the studio... car still smells magical...

0 comments: